Saturday, December 24, 2005

And a Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Good Night!

I will admit that as I am writing this I am a bit teary-eyed. I am sitting in my pj's watching "A Christmas Story" thinking about the evening that just passed before me. I started it out at my aunt and uncle's house. Now, some of you may not know, but this particular aunt was seriously ill TWICE this year. She got through cancer only to have a heart attack a couple months later. Now she is fine, but if anyone can complain about 2005 it is her :) And even though I had to be around a couple cousins I really have troubles getting along with (trust me, I have VERY good reason) it was worth it to be there and see her so happy to have people in her house for Christmas Eve.

Next I headed over to the house of a good family friend. Christmas Eve at their house has been a tradition for years, but I have not been there since the husband died of cancer a year and a half ago. Last year I was in KY and the year before he was too sick to handle having people over for the holiday. I went, glad that the tradition was still going but nervous about the evening without his presence. He was truly one of the funniest, most personable people I have ever met. And to top that he opened up the bar to me the Christmas I was 16 ;) Things were weird at first, but after the ice was broken, drinks were poured, things started looking pretty good. His 25 year old son looks a lot like he may be working on taking his dad's place. My only concern was our deceased friend's very elderly mother who was there, and didn't have much of an idea of what was going on due to Alzheimer's. She was left alone quite some time after dinner so on the suggestion of my mother, I went over to talk to her and keep her entertained. I have known this woman since I was nine years old, and she had no idea who I was and in fact asked three times if I was related to everyone. She asked many questions over and over again and at one point even forgot her daughter-in-law's name or how she was related to her... she became "The woman who lives here". Now this shocked me but I didn't let it show... She has obviously lost a lot but that is not my point... my point is, a lot of times people like her go ignored and lost. If you have someone like this in your circle of family and/or friends, please don't ignore them. If a conversation with them means repeating yourself over and over, so do it. It will mean so much to them, even if they don't know who you are or won't remember the conversation the next day. I know my conversation meant a lot to her when I brought up something she remembered and I think was shocked I did as well. She brought up a business she used to run with her late husband (a long since closed department store) and I mentioned I remembered the funny green van she used to drive with the store's logo on the side. I don't think I have seen anyone smile that big in a long time. She doesn't remember me and doesn't remember most people in her life. But when I brought up a notable piece of nostalgia from her life, is was something that sparked her memory and made her feel good.

So now I asks of you, please, even if you don't have a special memory, please talk to older people in your life, even if their memory is not so good. It will mean the world to them.

So, in closing, I have the following sentiments to share.

To Roy, we miss you a lot. You should be proud of your family.

To Eric, thanks for trying to fill your dad's shoes.

To Auntie, I love you, I am so happy you are here with us and healthy again.

To the creator's of "A Christmas Story", thanks. Thank you for reminding (and assuring) us that some things never change.

And last but not least, to my friends and family, thank you. You know why.

Merry Christmas

~Wildflower

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home