Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Happy Chrismahanukwanzakah!

My pet peeve of the moment: To all you "Bah Humbugs" out there... I am tired of you. Stop it. Personally, I don't want to hear anyone tell me how much they hate Christmas anymore. I like Christmas, and always have. And no, it is not the shopping or stuff, I can SO do without that part. It is the spirit I have always loved. So please stop. I wouldn't go up to a very patriotic person and tell them I hate 4th of July with a passion without being asked (PS I don't hate it but just an example). I know some of you have very good reasons to hate Christmas/the Holidays... But I think you are putting the blame in the wrong place. My Christmas/Holiday wish for you is to not let your bad experiences keep a hold on you. Nothing should ever control you so much that you hate an entire month out of the year (This is advice I am going to have to take from myself in January ;) ) ... My suggestion is to give yourself the gift of freedom from the past. Don't forget but let go. Instead of hating Christmas/the Holidays, I would suggest going out and doing something nice for someone else. No matter how small it is, just reach out. That is what this time of year is about. If you don't know where to start, The Sleepless Walrus has some great suggestions (see the link to his blog on my sidebar) and I personally recommend volunteering/donating the Emergency Food Bank in your area. Nothing better than giving a hungry family a nice holiday dinner. Or donate time/toys to a children's shelter. Be creative, but don't be filled with bad feelings :)

And for my biggest pet peeve from a certain set of "Bah Humbug-ers" out there... The far conservative right and the far liberal left are both taking things way too seriously this time of year! The holiday season should be filled with love and acceptance... It is truly not the end of the world if the Wal-Mart greeter says "Happy Holidays" rather than "Merry Christmas". If you believe, your faith should be strong enough to realize that the sentiment does not diminish the religious message of your holiday. When the clerk at the store looks at you, he or she doesn't automatically see a Christian, Jew, Muslim, Hindu, etc., he or she sees a person they want to enjoy their own celebrations this time of year. So let it go!!! And on the other end of the spectrum, if your neighbor has a nativity scene in their yard, that is not offensive! They are showing their faith on their property and that's their right... and we should have respect for their beliefs. And if someone does happen to tell you "Merry Christmas" and if you don't celebrate, it is not an insult. Smile and tell them you celebrate your own holiday but wish them a Merry Christmas themselves. Let things go, relax, and have a good time. :)

That being said, I am going get to the explanation of the title of this post. With all the conflict out there, don't we need a holiday we can all enjoy and laugh a little? Hehe. See below, and Happy Holidays! ;)

I have to admit I have been thinking about this part of the post all day, just because of a too-funny marketing ploy that really isn't such a silly idea after all, if you think about it. Why not a holiday we can all enjoy? Have a Happy Chrismahanukwanzakah for me, and please check out the site below. Yes, I know it is more marketing but please listen to "The Jews" song, it is too much :) And no one take offense, it is all in good fun!

http://www.chrismahanukwanzakah.com/

~Wildflower

3 Comments:

At 1:07 PM, Blogger Annie said...

I totally thought you got the title from my page...I am apparently very self-absorbed! My newest post is about my roommate and my Chrismakwanzakah party - had one last year too! I love the sentiment and the ability to give and share - particularly non-tangible gifts like donations. Yay for winter holidays!

 
At 6:58 PM, Blogger Wildflower said...

Hehe.. awesome Annie! Most people think I am a bit nuts ;) But I was just saying last night that I should have a Chrismahanukwanzakah dinner next year... Serve things from all three holidays... say, Latkes, Cajun Chicken, and Egg Nog? hehe. Thanks for the response!

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger MezzoDragon said...

Hooray for Seph!

You said it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home